Edo State Polytechnic
(formally Edo State Institute of Technology and Management), came into existence with a bill signed into law His Excellency the executive Governor of Edo State, Chief (Dr.) Lucky Nosakhare Igbinedion on 19/12/02. The idea to set up the school was to correct:
- The unfavourable admission criteria for her indigenes into federal polytechnics and Universities.
- Produce required manpower for industrial development.
- Produce graduates who are self reliant.
The change in the name
of the institute was to meet NBTE requirements ratio of 70% – 30%
technology to management courses.The aim of the institution as stated in
the law are as follows:
- To provide training and research particularly in technological sciences.
- To arrange conferences, seminars and to provide higher education in the field of learning specified in 1. above.
- To disseminate scientific and technological knowledge among users especially scientist and researchers.
The Institute is located in Usen Town, Ovia South West Local Government Area of Edo State. It occupies the primises of former Elawure Grammar School. The Land area is about 3 Square miles or 4.8 square kilometers.