SCHOOL OF BUSINESS STUDIES
Osamwonyi Ohonba, KSP
Dean of SCHOOL OF BUSINESS Studies
WELCOME TO SCHOOL OF BUSINESS STUDIES
The school of business studies have programmes offered in the various departments. All the programmes are available at the National Diploma (ND) Level. Accountancy, Administration and Public Administration, in the (HND) Level.
The programmes currently available in the school of business studies includes:
- Banking and Finance
- Mass Communication
- Public Administration
- Secretarial Administration
Each department is headed an HOD, who oversee the day to day running of the department. Each programme has its own aims and objectives.
ACCREDITATION AND CONDITIONS FOR THE AWARD OF NATIONAL DIPLOMA
Each programme offered at the ND level, have to be accredited the NBTE, before the National Diploma Certificate can be awarded.
Departments offering accredited programmes, will award the National Diploma Certificate to candidates who have successfully completed the programme course work, after passing the prescribed examinations, diploma project and the supervised Industrial Work Experience Scheme (SIWES). Such candidate most have completed a minimum of between 72 and 82 semester credit units, depending on the programme.
Diploma certificates will be classified as follows:
- Distinction – CGPA of 3.50 and above
- Upper credit – CGPA of 3.00 – 3.49
- Lower credit – CGPA of 2.50 – 2.99
- Pass (P) – CGPA of 2.00 – 2.49
- Fail (F) – CGPA of below 2.00
Transcripts(s) showing all the courses taken and grade obtained the students will be issued together with the certificate(s).
DEPARTMENT OF ACCOUNTING
The aim of the national diploma in Accountancy is to produce a middle level manpower who can effectively perform a range of functions in the field of Accountancy, Insurance, Banking and in Financial Institute
The graduates of the ND Accounting Programme should be able to:
- Assist in the collection and integration of basic financial data for use in investment decisions
- Prepare final Account for companies
- Assist in the preparation of short and long term budget plans
- Collect and collate relevant financial to and superior affairs
- Interpret same basic statistical and financial data
- To transmit a body of knowledge and a command to adequate technical business, skills and techniques,
- To increase the students capability to learn and to communicate successfully with others
- To understand himself and his environment and the community to which he lives.
ND Programme should contribute adequately to the production of good quality and dedicated business manpower for commerce, industry, private and public enterprise
DEPARTMENT OF BANKING AND FINANCE
The aim of the National Diploma in Banking and Finance is to produce a middle level manpower that can effectively perform a range of functions and the various departments of Banking, Industry and in Financial Institute.
The graduates of the ND in Banking and Finance programme should be able to:
- Assist in the collection and integration of basic financial data for use in investment decisions,
- Interpret and appraise final accounts of companies and other relevant operating data in banking industry
- Assist in the preparation of short and long term budget plans
- Collect and collate relevant financial information to aid superior officers and management in financial data
- Interpret same basic ratio, statistical and financial data
- Assist in the analysis and evaluation of investment proposals, price and market trends.
- To keep the students abreast with the present day changing banking trends and requirements in the economy
- To increase the students capability to learn and to communicate successfully with others,
- To transmit a body of knowledge and a command of adequate technical business skills and techniques in their various assignments.
ND programmes should contribute adequately to the production of good quality and dedicated business manpower for commerce, industry, private and public enterprise.
DEPARTMENT OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
The National Diploma Pgrogramme in business Administration is aimed at producing diplomats with sound theoretical and practice knowledge to carry out a number of activities in a business concern effectively. The aims include:
- Ensure continuity of supply both to the markets or production units,
- Buy efficiently and wisely obtaining the best possible value for every naira spent,
- Speak and write clear, correct and effective functional English,
- Keep simple records of financial and other transaction in any organization,
- Undertake proper storage and preservation of materials and goods,
- Carry out effective purchasing tasks and sales advertising,
- Organize sales and distribution of materials,
- Carry out market research and similar functions,
- Conduct product planning surveys for manufacturing organizations,
- Carry out inspection and auditing of books and records,
- Interpret basic statistical data,
- Write business reports and carry out various types of business communication effectively,
- Identify management problems at appropriate levels, analyze them and design management strategies to over come them,
- Interpret and assist in the execution of overall co-operative development policies,
- Carry out evaluation of investment asset for investment purpose andassist in the analyze of investment, proposals.
DEPARTMENTOF PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
The National Diploma in Public Administration is designed to produce middle level manpower required for the running of efficient and effective administration in the public and private service
It is expected that a graduates of this programme should be able to:
- apply the theories and practices of Public Administration
- analyse the nature and operations of the machinery of government
- analyse the nature and scope of intergovernmental relations
- apply the basic principles in the management of public enterprises
- examine the structure and functions of local government
- identify management problems at the appropriate levels, analyses them and design strategies to solve them
- apply the basic principles of financial management
- mobilize small communities or groups of individuals for the preparation of small development programme/project
- establish and management a small scale business effectively and profitably
- apply the basic principles of law in official relationship transaction
- carry out elementary applications of the computer as processing data information
- Run a small administration/personnel unit in any organization with minimum supervision of superior officers.